Adding Page Content
When in the 'Edit Content' view you can start adding to your page using assets/artifacts from your 'Content' area or from external sites such as YouTube, Vimeo, Prezi and more.
All content is added using the tools displayed to the left of the page when in the 'Edit Content' view.
Some items may be hidden under menus. For example, click 'down arrow' next to External to see the external feed option i.e. RSS.
Don't forget to click 'Save'
To move content blocks around on the page:
1. Hover your mouse cursor over the title bar of a Content Block and the cursor will turn in to a 'cross-hair' with double headed arrows.
2. Click and hold down the mouse button to move the Content Block using the ‘drag and drop’ technique. Move the block to where you want it on the page.
3. The position of the block is shown by a highlighted dotted outline as you move it around the page.
4. Release the mouse button when the Content Block is in the new position.
Note: Where content blocks can be moved on a page is dependent on the layout of columns and rows you have chosen. See how to change the Layout of a Page.
Adding files available for download
Display a Folder from your Files area
Displaying a folder from your Files area on your page is a good way to show a collection of evidence in different file formats for your instructors to download. Before you can display a folder, you need to have created it. Review this tutorial page for information about how to create folders in the Files area (found under Content > Files): https://folio.brighton.ac.uk/group/00-help-support/organise-files-into-folders
- Go to your page and click on Edit this Page to enter the edit mode.
- Click once on the Media block to expand the options.
- Hover your mouse to the left of the block until your cursor looks like a cross-shape and then left-click and drag the block onto the desired area of the page.
- In the block configuration options select the Folders grey bar. This will display a list of your available folders help in the Content > Files area.
- Click on the tick icon to the right of the folder that you wish to display on the page.
- Change the option for Show download link to Yes.
- If you have many files in your folder you may want to set the block to retractable (folds up and down when clicked in the display view).
- Save your changes.
Test out your folder
- Go to Content > Files.
- If this is a folder of professional evidence, it is best practice to label and add written description to any files that you add to the folder. This will be helpful later on if you need to refer to specific piece of evidence. Also adding a number at the beginning of the file e.g. "01", "02", "03"... will determine the display order of the files contained in the folder. Click on the pencil icon to the right of the file to edit the filename and description.
- For example add "01" at the beginning of the filename.
- Save your changes.
- Hover your mouse to the left of your file, over the folder icon, until your cursor looks like cross-shape. The left-click and drag the until it is on top of your folder, the folder listing will turn yellow.
- Go to the page where you added your folder (Portfolio > Pages). The folder and its contents should be displayed on the page. If you cannot see the folder's contents try clicking on it as you may have set the block to automatically retract (it is folded/collapsed by default).
Add External Media - Video, Images and Presentations
With this block you can embed content from a wide variety of third-party sites e.g. YouTube, Vimeo, Prezi, SoundCloud and Slideshare. The sites you can use are listed when you open add the block to the Page and the External Media: Configure pop-up opens.
Using this block means you can take content from other Social Media sites and embed it on your Pages in studentfolio. This could be your own content.
To add the External Media Block:
1. From the Content Chooser, click on External and then drag and drop External Media onto the Page.
2. Enter a Block Title.
3. Paste in the URL or Embed Code from the site where the content is located. (e.g. YouTube).
Use the Embed Code from the following sites. Content can be embedded using the embed code.
Use URLs for the following sites. Copy the URL for the content you want to embed on your Page from the site.
4. Choose a Width and Height (in pixels) for the embedded content on the Page if you are using a URL. If you are using embed code this will automatically resize.
5. Choose if you want to make the block Retractable by ticking the boxes.
6. Click the Save button to add the block to the Page.
Or click the Remove button to cancel.
Display an embedded video or audio file saved in your Files area. You can display MP3 (Sound) MP4 (Video) files by default on your Page.
See the Mahara site for instructions on adding media to your pages:
Edit an existing text box
In some areas of template portfolio pages you may need to edit existing written content and tables.
To edit existing text box areas
- Click on the Edit this Page button on the top-right of the page.
- Once the page is in Edit mode cogs will appear to the right-hand side of the text box areas. Click on the cog next to the text box area which you want to edit.
- Once in the edit mode, click on downward arrow to access the full range of editing tools.
- If adding your content to tables, click on the Full Screen Mode button in order to see a larger view of the text area. Press the Full Screen Mode button again to exit that mode.
- Start to enter your text into the table. Some of the text may be automatically in bold due to the template. To change the text from bold to normal, highlight the text with your mouse cursor and then click on the "B" in the edit palette.
- If you need to add rows to the table, the quickest way to do so is, to place your mouse cursor in the bottom-most row and then press on the Tab key on your keyboard.
- Pressing the Tab key will automatically add another row with a matching number of columns - as shown below.
- If you require more table editing tools or need to create a new table you can find these in the table options in the edit palette.