What does the Group area show?
Click the Groups link to see:
- My groups - a list of the groups you have joined.
- Find groups - Search for groups to join.
- My friends - a list of people you've made a Friend.
- Find friends - Search for other people on studentfolio you want to connect with and make a friend.
- Topics - lists the Discussion Forums taking place in groups you are part of.
Find a Group
Go to Groups > Find Groups.
Use this section to search for and find groups that you want to join or that you are already a member of.
Type keywords into the search box under the 'Find groups' heading to look for a group. And click Search.
The search will show matches using the title and description of the group. You can limit your search using the drop down menu for: Groups I can join, Groups I'm not in, Groups I'm in, All Groups.
In the list of Groups shown, you can find out more information for a group by:
- Clicking the group title to see the group homepage.
- Checking the name/s of the group administrators.
- Clicking on the 'member' link to see who else is a member. (If this has been allowed by the group administrator.)
What if my Group isn't listed?
Check with your tutor. Sometimes Groups are hidden and cannot be found using a search.
In this case, your tutor may send you a direct web link in an email, to join the Group.
Join a Group
To join a group:
After searching for a Group under Find Groups...
Depending on how groups have been set up by your tutor, you will see different joining options:
1. Join this group - This button shows that membership of this group is un-restricted (Open) and anyone can chose to join. Clicking the button will immediately make you a member. Note: You'll also be able to leave an Open group at any time by clicking the 'Leave this group' button.
2. Request to join this group - This button indicates that the group has a closed membership and you'll need to ask permission to join. Clicking the button will send a message to the group owner who can either accept or decline your request.
3. Accept or Decline - These buttons appear if you have been invited to join a group by the group owner (usually your tutor). You can chose to become a member by clicking Accept or turn it down by clicking Decline.
Getting added to a group automatically.
In most cases, you will need to take action to join a group but sometimes you may be added to a group automatically by your tutor.
In this case, look for the group:
- Under Groups > My Groups to see a list of groups you are a member of.
- Or search using a keyword from the group title under Find Groups and filter using 'Groups I'm in' from the drop down menu.
- Or see the groups you are a member of on the Dashboard in the right hand Personal information panel.
Join a Group directly from a web link.
Your tutor may email you a link or ask you to click on a link in studentcentral that will take you to the group they want you to join.
Click on the web link and log-in to studentfolio. This will take you directly to the Group's About page.
Click the Join this group button at the top of the page.
Note: The tutor may choose to hide the group so it cannot be found using the search feature in studentfolio as a way to restrict who can join the group.